Larry Bond’s Harpoon Commander’s Edition is the current generation of the original Harpoon computerization of Bond’s game, which was first published in 1989 by Three Sixty Pacific.
This was the first software ever sold as a professional education product by the U.S. Naval Institute.
During the long development from Harpoon Classic 2002 Gold until now — the project had some other “code” names — none of those products ever shipped. Many were available in timed out beta form only.
- Based on Larry Bond’s Harpoon 3rd Edition Rules
- Microsoft Windows compatible: 98, ME, NT4, 2000, XP and 7
- Five combat areas (North Atlantic, Greenland-Iceland-United Kingdom Gap, Indian Ocean/Persian Gulf, the Mediterranean and Western Pacific)
- Wicked computer opponent
- Easy-to-play, hard-to-master
- New platform editor
- Improved scenario editor
- New WestPac Scenarios and database (contributed by HarpDB — Brad Leyte/Tony Eischens and crew)
- Massive library of user-created scenarios available
- New land units (AD Fixed, AD Mobile, Armored, UnArmored) partial implementation
- New neutral and unknown (indeterminate) sides partial implementation
- New radar model, much better variability in detection ranges is possible, stealth modeling
- Area ECM upgraded
- Improved SARH logic.